Saturday, September 20, 2008

They Never Told Me This in Bible College

Bible College was full of promise. We had great professors who were knowledgeable and who gave us the benefit of years of experience. Our minds were filled with The Word of God, our hearts with passion. We were going to change the world. We were unstoppable. We launched into ministry with everything we needed to meet the needs of the broken, hurting masses. We were Pastors, Missionaries, Evangelists.

It took only a very short while to discover there just were going to be circumstances of which no Professor could ever forewarn us...because no one in Bible College would ever have imagined these events as part of everyday ministry life. No one could have prepared us for dog funerals, overflowed baptistry tanks, disrespect for the office of Pastor by the base runner rushing the catcher (Pastor) at home plate during the church-wide picnic and softball game. We would not have believed the Professors if they had told us we would have to sit in the dunk tank at the Fall Festival, that we would have to clean the toilets, that we would have to lead the Christmas Sunday music even though one had no musical skill whatsoever. We could not have dreamed that Sermon props could go so badly, that verbal faux pas would ever be so embarrasing, that so many people could actually sleep through your sermons or plug in their transistor radio earpiece while you were preaching. OK, OK, that's an IPod these days.

I think you get my drift. The stories I will share on this blog are real stories from my 33 years of ministry. Sometimes the names will be changed to protect the innocent; sometimes the real names will be used to expose the guilty. The bottom line is, "They never told me about this in Bible College!"

7 comments:

Reese said...

Yay You did it!

This particular blog reminds me of how I have felt over the years being a mom. But I never went to school to be a mom.

I am looking forward to reading the many many stories that you share, just remember that you have to ask permission before sharing the ones about me. :)

I will be adding a link from my blog to yours shortly.

Signed,
One of three of your favorite daughter in laws

The Growing Goodsons said...

No one ever told me I would pull teeth of little kids, talk to moms about little boys touching their daughters "bums", no one told me it wasnt a good idea to squeeze an egg during your sermon because it would explode all over little girls in their sunday best, no one told me I would have to clean up bubble parties in the bathroom, rescue preschool workers from little boys who lock themselves in closets because they had gone pee in there, have to become captin jack sparrow to persuade a child to go into a room. I will stop here but i have many more.

-Seth

PK's BLOG said...

PHIL:

GOOD GOING!! I'll look forward to reading future 'things they never taught us.' I'm sure you have a good 6 or 7 years worth of examples in that brain of yours. HAPPY BLOGGING!!

Lara Moore said...

Can't wait to read your future perspectives!!! And I totally agree!!! 20 years ago, I had no idea I would end up who, where and what I would be today!

amorris1967 said...

Phillip, your blog reminded me of watching you play softball. We would joke that you needed to hit a triple to get to first base. Ha! I remember you joking that you needed oxygen at 2nd base.

Verbal faux pas - have you ever heard B.T.'s story about the time he was relating a story about a farmer riding his combine to illustrate a point, but unfortunately he got the word "combine" mixed up with "concubine" for the entire story. You can imagine the rest.. HA!
Adrienne

Shecaniah said...

Hmmmm......perhaps you should teach such a class as this. Call it "The Unspiritual Side of a Calling".

Signed,
One who never did catch on to Koine Greek.

Anonymous said...

Dr. Phil,

I know you had always said you could write a book of your experiences! This will be fun to read! Although we know who the references to "Bubba and Bubbette" in Wisconsin will be about... I think you have many more stories about "Bubba."
(I look forward to reading your interesting new blog. I'll tell Pastor Luke to link to it as well from his page.)