Friday, September 26, 2008

I'm A Better Lover Than...

I'm a better lover than... Well, before I finish that thought, let me set this up. We've all heard funny stories about some of the well intentioned words of wisdom that have somehow come out all wrong. One of the comments on my first blog was about B.T. mistakenly using the word, 'concubine' instead of 'combine' (as in a farm implement) throughout his sermon. I'm sure many of his "fans" relished making him aware of his mistake after the sermon was finished.

I have a couple of favorites that I am grateful to have not spoken. I am equally grateful that I was present to hear my friends utter words that could not be recovered before the humorous damage was done. One preacher tried to communicate the concept of being self-deprecating. However, in the passion of anointed preaching, we were exhorted instead to be "self-defecating". Someone blurted out, "Well, I HOPE that is something you do by yourself!" Another gave a clarion call for the listeners to come "prostitute themselves at the altar". There were no takers and the altar remained empty that evening. A colleague and I jointly officiated a wedding. As he prayed the Benedictory Prayer of Blessing, he eloquently besought The Lord to "bless this couple in every situation and circumcision, uh...every circumstance...".

One of my earliest blushes came shortly after I entered the ministry. I noted that I had recently observed that being a good pastor was more about loving people than about being a good preacher. As I glanced down at the pulpit, I continued, "...and I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm a better lover than I am a preacher." As the words drifted across the congregation in the silent moment that followed, I finally dared lift my eyes in horror to discover that everyone present was doing his best to stifle the laughter. In a mistaken effort to cover my blunder, I shouted above the laughter, "But, but the only way you will know that for sure is to ask my wife," at which point she roared, "Don't ask me. I'm not lying for him!"

They just never told me in Bible College that anointed preaching could be so human!

5 comments:

amorris1967 said...

Oh those are priceless! I'm sure Dallise was so proud to be married to someone who announces that they are a better lover than preacher from the pulpit. I'm sure if they thought you were a very poor preacher they'd think that wasn't a glowing endorsement either. HA!
Mom and Dad had friends whose daughter got married about a year ago. At their wedding every guest was given a program that included paragraphs written by the bride and groom about each friend in the wedding party. One friend's paragraph in particular caught my dad's attention. The groom had written "you are the life of the party and you'll do anything for a laugh. everyone loves your self-defecating humor." Wow! You can imagine the fun we've had with that. What a nice sentiment to have in writing for all of posterity.

The Growing Goodsons said...

This is one story I don't think I've heard until now. All I can think to say is...

Now that's funny. I don't care who ya are that's funny! (now pretend that's all mumbled together and you can hardly understand it - makes it even funnier!)

I always cracked me up when things like this would happen but I would feel horrible for the person who said it (most of the time)but don't worry it never stopped me from laughing!

Caleb said...

Hey Dr. Phil or Pastor Phil,

I heard about your blog from your wife. I think that this is really cool. I love the stories and the honesty.

Caleb Pahl

Mateo said...

Hi, you don't know me, but apparently my parents do. I prefer not to use blog comments as email so I sent an email to your facebook profile that will give more info. But you went to Liberty with my parents, Phil and Patty Schrock... and that's just the tip of the iceberg on how I found you. God bless and thanks for the great reading material.

-Matt Schrock

Anonymous said...

I remember when you and Brad S. were praying for a couple who were leaving our church, and sending them out with a blessing. As he was praying, he got his words jumbled up and said, "...and we pray that God keeps their FARTS toward honoring Him..." and then he realized what he said. After the prayer, you had made some comment referring to the Scripture that says something about honoring God in EVERYTHING you do... ;-)