Sunday, October 10, 2010

All About Ministry

It has been too long since I showed up here. In fact, I have written nothing since we announced Dallise was diagnosed with Chronic Myeloid Leukemia. With great thanksgiving I can report that she is doing well and the worst symptom or side effect she has experienced is excessive tiredness, and even with that she has not missed a day of work. I recently spoke to a client who was diagnosed with CML a few years ago. He endured everything from steroid treatment to bone marrow transplant to extensive chemotherapy, and is not a healthy man even today. We have been spared those extreme trials and we are grateful.

Now, with that personal report given, "It's All About Ministry."

I have always preached that wherever you work, whatever you do, that place is a place of ministry. I never had to practice that truth until I stepped into the business marketplace three years ago. I find that there are daily opportunities to speak a word of encouragement, pray with someone or to share my faith. There are people out there who may never step into "my church", but I can take church, no, not church, but Christ, into "my world". That may be the most important thing I can do as ministry.

While it was very difficult to adjust to not being "Pastor", I now find my job, my job ministry, very fulfilling. I have been guilty in the past of passing some degree of quiet, private judgment on those who left formal ministry. I thought they just did not have the stamina or they became jaded or disillusioned with ministry. I thought maybe they were quitters, they were giving in to satanic pressures. They were to be pitied and definitely prayed for. They just didn't have what it took. I have even thought that maybe some of those should never even have been called ministers. We read all the statistics of the numbers of churches that fail and the numbers of those who have left the ministry and we feel saddened by those numbers.

Yet, might it just be possible that God just planned, in His own wisdom and for eternal reasons we might never know in this earth, to use some "old Preachers" to carry His message to a different crowd in a different way than he started out.

I'll admit, this may sound like one "old Preacher" trying to justify his own life journey, but I gotta tell you, this feels pretty right for me at this season of my life. So, please do not feel sorry for me, please do not look at me as one who abandoned The Call. If anything, that Call is stronger than ever and I am feeling a holy liberty to pursue it as long as God gives me life. I have an idea this thing is about to become an even greater adventure than I imagined 35 years ago when I launched into pastoral ministry.

10 comments:

PK's BLOG said...

How wonderful to hear what you have expressed. Be blessed, my friend.

Unknown said...

That is a great perspective. But can you take "Steady Freddie" into the market -place?

Dr Phil said...

Ken, there is no place I can take Steady Freddie besides Liberty Church. Nobody else really knows him like the good folks there.

Dr Phil said...

Via FaceBook:
Sheryllynne Satenberg I really miss you both soo very much

Dr Phil said...

Via FaceBook
George Watters I read the blog and here is my comment since I don't have a google account.
Abandoned the Call no way! The phone was ringing off the hook and you had the Faith to answer it. God bless you for who you are.

Dr Phil said...

Via FaceBook
Paul Sharpe God Bless I Love you Both Peace!

Dr Phil said...

Via Facebook
Birdie Brooks I can not imagine you not being a pastor. You will always be one because of your love for people no matter if you're in the pulpit or in the work place. I love you both.

Heath said...

Sounds like you oughta hook up with ForgeAmerica. Eric even made that comment recently that it would be good to have you around some of the Forge events sometime.

Unknown said...

Hey Bubba, Like your Blog, You cannot miss a call when you have a open heart, and ears to hear,willing nature to do "what ever God wants" God Does not whisper, If he wants your attention he will get it and will speak clearly so as to be understood. Your desire to follow that voice will keep you in Ministry, and in step with God where ever he has you.

Teresa said...

I bookmarked your blog awhile ago and just finally got around to back-reading. I loved this post. I hope you'll post some more on your blog. (I know you from when you came up to see us at TCF, where Atters go now.)